The GICHD, together with the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) will arrange and host a regional mine action liability workshop in Phnom Penh, Cambodia from 8-10 May 2013.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
- What is liability?
- The GICHD Guide to Liability and Insurance
- Terms and definitions
- Liability in demining operations
- Liability and Mine Action Standards – IMAS and NMAS
- Liability in mine action contracts
- Liability in insurance and practical examples
- Liability from a legal perspective and possible options for dealing with liability in mine action
- Presentation an example of liability in law in South East Asia
- Liability in Non-Technical and Technical Survey and Clearance
- Country specific presentations of liability in mine action from the participants
- Various exercises involving liability in mine action
The tentative agenda for the workshop can be viewed here PDF 137KB
As the number of participants is limited to 20, preference will be given to individuals who work with legal aspects of mine action contracts and liability as a part of their daily duties. Participants should:
- have a basic understanding of IMAS,
- have a minimum of three years’ experience in one or several of the mine action pillars,
- be working in mine action; for example, for a national mine action authority, a governmental or non-governmental organisation, or a commercial company active in mine action contracting in South East Asia, and
- be able to speak, read and understand English.
The course and course materials are free of charge. However, travel, accommodation and daily allowances are to be covered by each respective organisation. For more information about the cost of accommodation, please contact CMAC or GICHD directly
The GICHD has a sponsorship programme for a small number of participants from national mine action authorities in South East Asia.
The deadline for applications is Friday 8 March 2013. Applicants should send their applications directly to Pehr Lodhammar at the GICHD. The application should include a brief CV and full contact details. For applicants from national mine action authorities, it should also be mentioned if sponsorship is requested. Notification of accepted registrations and sponsorships will be given no later than Friday 15 March 2013.