Within the framework of the Arabic-language Outreach Programme (AOP) for mine action, the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) in partnership with the Lebanese Mine Action Center (LMAC) is organising the 4th AOP Annual Conference in Beirut, Lebanon from 20 to 22 October 2015. This annual event will bring together the National Directors and Officials from the National Mine Action programmes and other mine action stakeholders in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to discuss progress made, challenges, and exchange lessons learnt and ideas.
Specific objectives of the event are to:
- Discuss and make national authorities aware of What’s New in mine action
- Review progress made and discuss the remaining challenges faced by the various national programmes
- Identify regional/programme level priorities in order to outline the AOP Work Plan 2016
This three-day conference will comprise of:
- Concise and interactive presentations and discussions on current mine action issues at the regional and international level
- Presentations by the national mine action authorities on their progress, challenges, lessons learnt
- Presentation by national and international organisations active in the region on their plans for mine action in 2016
Participants will also discuss and identify national and regional priorities for the AOP to focus on in the upcoming year. The programme will include a field trip to visit mine action activities in Lebanon organised by LMAC.
National Directors and/or senior representatives of national mine action authorities in the MENA region are invited to participate in the conference. Representatives of United Nations agencies, Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other relevant parties from Arabic-speaking countries are also welcome to participate.
The attached Registration Form accompanied by a CV should be returned no later than 13 September 2015.
Please send the completed documents to the GICHD Arabic Outreach Programme team at aop(at)gichd.org fax: +41 (0)22 730 93 62.
يرجى تعبئة وإرسال إستمارة التسجيل مصحوبة بالوثائق المطلوبة أعلاه في موعد لا يتجاوز الأحد 13 سبتمبر/ أيلول 2015
As the host of the event, LMAC will provide necessary admin and logistic support for the participants and the GICHD will be responsible for the overall planning and facilitation of the conference.
Sponsorships are available for the representatives of national authorities who do not have the resources to participate in this event. To request sponsorship, participants are requested to register as soon as possible using the registration form, indicating if you need sponsorship to participate.
Note that participants are advised to arrange their own health and travel insurance.
LMAC’s contribution is co-financed by the Lebanese Army and the UNDP- funded by the European Union.