Location: Geneva, Switzerland, with regular travel, including to mine-affected countries
Duration: As soon as possible. 12 months, with eligibility for long-term extension
Full/part time: 100 %
The Regional Cooperation Programme (RCP) has been initiated by the GICHD in partnership with the national authorities and organisations of affected states to increase the level and quality of cooperation on mine action at a regional level. Through this programme, the GICHD brings different stakeholders to promote cooperation in mine action with a gender and diversity sensitive approach, to share best practice in order to address common challenges and to clarify terminology by disseminating documentation in various languages.
Reporting to the Regional Cooperation Coordinator, the Programme Officer will provide substantive operational, project management, administrative and financial support to the Regional Cooperation Programme and its projects, with a main focus on the Arab Regional Cooperation Programme.
- Provide support in project cycle management, implementation, results-based management progress and monitoring, for instance:
- Contribute to and assist in project design, project budget and the support of the implementation of grant agreements including preparing concept papers, funding proposals, donor reporting, narrative and financial reports/budgets as well as other RCP resource mobilisation activities;
- Conduct desk research and drafting substantive reports, assessments, evaluations and case studies;
- Provide administrative, organisational, logistical and technical support to RCP events including initiation of contractual, financial or administrative workflows such as Memorandum of Understanding, agreements, consultancy contracts, expense reports, drafting minutes, mission reports and travel arrangements;
- Monitor budgets and expenditures in liaison with the Regional Cooperation Coordinator and the Support and Administration Division;
- Assist with other project management related activities as necessary;
- Liaise with partners and mine affected programmes in the Middle East and North Africa region, consultants and/or other stakeholders;
- Contribute to the design of RCP events and activities, and ensure their effective planning, preparation and implementation;
- Coordinate with colleagues from other divisions for joint activities, technical assistance and new initiatives or support in the region;
- Prepare and participate in missions, workshops, country field visits with the Regional Cooperation Coordinator and/or the Advisors (including occasionally in potentially unstable or mine-affected countries);
- Attend, present and report on, where appropriate, some conferences, meetings or workshops on behalf of the GICHD;
- Prepare official communication, toolkits, training material, presentations, documentation material, background information, case studies and follow up surveys, in English and Arabic;
- Manage the translation of mine action material from English to Arabic and vice versa, check and validate quality of translated documents and liaise with key partners to collect feedback, and adjust if required;
- Contribute to GICHD publications by collecting data and information, drafting some content;
- Provide input to GICHD website and social media concerning activities and events in English and Arabic.
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in similar positions in field programmes and/or headquarters, preferably in humanitarian affairs, development cooperation, international cooperation, disarmament, post-conflict recovery and reconstruction or other related field;
- Experience in project cycle management, reporting of donor funds, multi-year budgets and finances, administration;
- Working knowledge of budgeting, monitoring and accounting procedures;
- Experience working with the MENA Region and good understanding of the history and geopolitics of the region;
- Ability to communicate clearly and constructively with a wide range of stakeholders from diverse social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds;
- Excellent team and networking skills;
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of individual and organisation-wide results;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities and to take initiatives;
- Languages: excellent verbal and written English, and native/excellent command of verbal and written Arabic;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, excel (spreadsheets) in particular);
- Availability to travel occasionally and operate in potentially unstable regions.
- A post-graduate degree, diploma or equivalent vocational qualification in a relevant field of study;
- Knowledge or experience of Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Exposure to Mine Action or at least Human Security;
- Experience or exposure to partnership and network building in the Arab world;
- Understanding in mainstreaming gender and diversity topics in programming;
- Working knowledge of French, or another language practiced in mine-ERW affected countries;
- Working knowledge of SharePoint.
The incumbent will be recruited locally and will not be eligible to any international relocation benefit.
To apply please click on this link to GICHD Job Application Portal and submit your candidacy through the online platform. Your application must be presented in English and include a CV of maximum 5 pages, a letter of motivation, your earliest date of availability and any other additional material you wish to present in support of your candidacy.
The GICHD implements a Gender and Diversity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
Publication date : 24 January 2019