12 months, with eligibility for long-term extension
As soon as possible
Closing date for applications
August 22, 2021
Embedded in the External Relations and Policy division, the Communication unit is in charge of implementing the communication strategy of the GICHD, reaching out to the key stakeholders in explosive ordnance risk reduction, human security, humanitarian and development fields, the media and the wider public. The department is in charge of the editorial agenda, handles the digital and print material and public relation activities (including stakeholders’ engagement, social media, events, and media relations).
The Communication officer supports the implementation of the overall GICHD Communication Strategy with a focus on the coordination of the production of publications and the development of corporate style guidance and templates. The Communication officer also supports the coordination of public events.
- Support the implementation of the communication strategy.
- Ensure consistency in the use of the GICHD corporate identity.
- Draft and review written content (publications, standards, websites, videos, animations, presentations, training material).
- Coordinate and supervise the production of other print material such as maps and banners, in collaboration with designers.
- Manage the production of publications including:
- Identifying, compiling, writing-up and editing content provided by GICHD staff and consultants
- Maintaining the editorial and style guide
- Coordinating the editing, design, printing
- Coordinating the translation work liaising with external translators
- Managing and supervising the promotion and dissemination of publications
- Managing the ordering of publications and the stock of print publications
- Develop and maintain corporate templates, such as Word, letter, PPT, training material.
- Support GICHD staff to format documents, presentations and articles, including images search.
- Support the production of audio-visual content of high quality by developing and maintaining the graphic chart in collaboration with graphic designers.
- Develop corporate products and tools such as video content, photos and animations; develop and maintain a photo library – take photos, collect, classify, and edit when necessary.
- Support the review and publication of journal/media articles by the Centre; draft communication material for local/national/international media; monitor GICHD presence in the media Support the Comms manager in relations with partners, liaising with them, planning events, providing information and communication material.
- Coordinate the organisation of staff events; support for the development and organisation of public events, visits and campaigns; act as a moderator during events.
- Support the Centre in internal communication matters: serve as main focal point for corporate communication and publication within the organisation; maintain availability of communication and strategic documentation on the intranet, as well as corporate elements and templates; develop a platform for consultants with this documentation.
- Manage budget related to publications and design work and events; process and follow up with contracts, expense reports, etc.
- Carry out work in a gender and diversity-sensitive manner, mainstreaming gender and diversity considerations in all aspects of communication.
- Support the logistics of the conferences organised by the GICHD.
- Support the Communication team during absences of staff, including in digital matters (web and social media): to develop digital communication material and identify and prepare news and content for online posting.
- Fulfil other tasks assigned by the Head of Division.
Operating Network (key external contacts and level):
- Consultants and service providers for print and digital publications and communication material
- National mine action authorities and other partners and donors
- Organisers and stakeholders of relevant events
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the fields of corporate communication (annual report, branding) and public relations (relations with media, event management, organization of public events) (other names (publication officer, pr and Event coordinator, comm coordinator)
- Experience in international organizations (from private and public sectors)
- Excellent writing skills in English, near native level, an essential requirement
- Very detail oriented with the ability to review and amend publications in English
- Web publishing skills (content management systems, preference for Typo3, Wix)
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience in managing external consultants and agencies
- Demonstrated experience in the production of publications
- Good project management skills and ability to deliver within tight time frames (major events organization involving third party contracting and multiple stakeholders)
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Experience and ability to respect and promote gender equality, diversity and inclusion throughout different communication supports
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences and transfer knowledge
If you wish to join our mission and you feel you have the right profile to take on this role, please apply exclusively on-line using this link GICHD Job application portal and present your application in English including a CV of maximum 2 pages, a letter of motivation and any other additional material you wish to present in support of your candidacy.
The GICHD implements a Gender Equality and Inclusion policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
For further information please contact us by e-mail at hr(at)gichd.org