Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Duration: Open-ended contract
Activity Rate: Full time
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022
Purpose / Summary
The Safeguarding and Legal Compliance Manager will provide legal assistance, advice and support on all legal aspects related to the work of the GICHD. S/he will be responsible for applying and fully implementing the GICHD Safeguarding Accountability framework which will strengthen the staff safety and well-being at the workplace. The position reports to the GICHD Director.
The GICHD defines safeguarding as a set of standards, policies and procedures that are intended to foster a safe and respectful environment for everyone who comes into contact with the organisation. Safeguarding is an organisational commitment of the GICHD. Staff at all levels and contractors have an individual and overall responsibility to adhere to and implement the provisions of this framework and are expected to work with integrity, impartiality, and transparency, and to demonstrate a respectful behaviour toward all. Safeguarding within the GICHD is addressed through prevention, safe reporting, and appropriate response.
Areas of Responsibilities
- Provide legal assistance, advice and support to the GICHD.
- Assemble, proofread, and amend drafts of contracts and other GICHD legal documents (statutes, consultant contract templates, MoUs, agreements, employment contracts, etc.) to ensure compliance with the Swiss laws
- Conduct legal research and collect relevant background information as required
- Conduct legal assessments as required
- Synthesize legal information, for easy understanding by the teams
- Participate in the data protection assessment, support and coordinate the implementation of GDPR-compliant policies.
- Inform the management board of any GDPR breaches and draft the relevant corrective actions.
- Review and assist in the development and interpretation of internal rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
- Advise on the implementation of the Swiss labour laws and support any legal actions.
- Advise on any legal matters such as the intellectual property, copyright, disclaimer, sanction regimes, delegation of signatures, etc. and draft the relevant guidelines and policies.
- Provide training to staff on legal aspects of their work as required
- Ensure that the consultant selection process is compliant with the IRR on procurement and contracts
- Manage the GICHD insurance framework and provide recommendations based on the evolving legislation
- Liaise with the registry of commerce and the supervisory authorities for foundations (Autorités de Surveillance des Fondations)
- Manage and request modifications of the entries to the registry of commerce as required
Safeguarding and Accountability Framework
- Ensure the implementation of the GICHD Safeguarding Accountability Framework
- Develop a plan, measures and guidelines for the management to protect and promote staff safety and wellbeing while at work.
- Align the processes with the safeguarding accountability framework (for example in the quality management systems or HR procedures).
- Organise (in coordination with HR) training for all staff members in relation to safeguarding.
- Produce (with the support of the Incident Management Committee) statistics and reporting on the promotion and protection of safety and wellbeing for the management and the governance bodies.
- Compile and manage the data on staff safety and wellbeing protection (for instance statistics on illnesses, complaints) to inform possible improvement measures.
- Advise the senior management on corporate insurance policies related to personnel health and safety.
- Fulfil the role of Internal Person of Trust.
- Fulfil the role of member o the Incident Management Committee:
- Ensure that all necessary measures have been taken to guarantee safety and well-being of all involved parties.
- Receive and examine all formal complaints and grievances related to any of the GICHD policies
- Mandate the investigation body, communicate the outcome of the investigation to the different stakeholders
- Manage a matrix for decision making and the case management records of all reported claims, in line with legal obligations and data protection rules in Switzerland.
- Degree in law
- Mediator or certified person of trust, desirable
- Minimum five years of previous experience as in-house legal and compliance advisor preferably in non-profit organisations.
- Applied knowledge of Swiss legislation, directives, rules, and procedures;
- Good knowledge of personal data protection (GDPR)
- Experience implementing safeguarding policies preferably in non-profit or international organisations
- Experience managing code of conduct complaints
- Excellent command of written English and French, including the ability to produce written legal content in both languages.
- Capacity to synthesize and convey legal information to different audiences
- Experience in developing training material and facilitation of training sessions, would be an asset
If you wish to join our mission and you feel you have the right profile to take on this role, please follow this link GICHD Job application portal
You are kindly requested to present your application in English and include
- a CV of maximum 2 pages
- a letter of motivation
- your earliest date of availability
The GICHD implements a Gender and Diversity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
GICHD website www.gichd.org
For further information please contact us at hr(at)gichd.org
The Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) works towards reducing risks to communities stemming from explosive ordnance, with a particular focus on mines, cluster munitions, other explosive remnants of war and ammunition storages. The Centre helps develop and professionalise the sector for the benefits of its partners: National and local authorities, donors, the United Nations, other international and regional organisations, non-governmental organisations, commercial companies and academia. It does so by combining three distinct lines of service: field support focused on capacity development and advice, multilateral work focused on norms and standards, and research and development focused on cutting-edge solutions. These efforts are facilitated from the GICHD's location within the Maison de la Paix in Geneva.
GICHD website www.gichd.org
For further information please contact us by e-mail at hr(at)gichd.org>