Location : Geneva, Switzerland
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Duration: 12 months, with eligibility for long-term extension
Activity Rate: Full time
Closing date for applications: June 13, 2021
Purpose / Summary
The GICHDs Strategies, Performance and Impact Division focuses on cross-cutting issues such as strategic planning, results based management, monitoring and evaluation, training and reporting on results. It is also responsible for designing, coordinating and managing comprehensive country programmes for a selection of GICHD partner countries.
Under the direction of the Head of Strategies Performance and Impact the Advisor Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) is responsible for developing, refining and maintaining M&E frameworks as a means of driving continual improvement across the Mine Action and wider Explosive Risk Reduction sector.
Internally the incumbent works collaboratively with Project and Programme Managers, as well as the Results Based Management (RBM) team, providing M&E support to operational staff that are implementing thematic programmes with partner countries and other stakeholders.
Areas of Responsibilities
- Coordinate and facilitate information sharing around impact/outcome measurement for the mine action and explosive risk reduction sector, emphasise the concepts of, evidence-based approaches to decision-making, continual improvement, strategic planning, and results/outcome-based planning;
- Identify and refine mechanisms to measure and document mine action progress based on established indicators and achievement of targets, lessons learnt, best practices, and dissemination of results;
- Support and advise international donors and other key partners as they develop their own Theories of Change, M&E frameworks, outcome level Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and data collection processes;
- Support and advise on any external evaluations of mine action or explosive risk reduction projects and programmes on a request basis.
- Lead and manage the review and strengthening of institutional M&E procedures within the GICHD. Maintain an overview of the sequence of activities undertaken as part of GICHD country programmes and other field support packages;
- Lead and manage the development of standardised procedures for collection and reporting of project and programme performance data, regularly review data/results collected, perform data quality assessments, and propose adjustments to Project and Programme Managers as required;
- Lead and manage GICHD Integrated Baseline Assessments of partner countries capacity development requirements, use information collected to inform the design of standardised M&E frameworks for GICHDs support packages;
- Coordinate and facilitate regular discussions over progress of multi-year country programmes, provide M&E support to Project and Programme managers responsible for implementing activities. Undertake field country visits for M&E in accordance with the country programme workplan;
- Coordinate and facilitate the definition of indicators, identification of data sources and periodic progress review at project, programme and outcome levels in line with the GICHDs established RBM system;
- Coordinate and facilitate regular reviews of results/information obtained through M&E activities at project and programme level. Provide any follow up recommendations to Project and Programme managers, and relevant partners to enable informed decision making;
- Support and advise Project and Programme managers to identify successes and adapt activities and approaches to achieve targets;
- Support and advise the RBM team on integration of M&E results during periodic peer-review and planning processes;
- Support and advise the RBM team to more effectively track progress and inform programmatic steering and strategic decision-making.
- Carry out all responsibilities in a gender and diversity inclusive manner
- Fulfil other related tasks as assigned by the Head of Strategies Performance and Impact.
Operating Network (External)
- National authorities (programme and operations management)
- Mine Action/Explosive Risk Reduction NGOs, Development organisations (programme and operations management)
- Community of evaluators;
- External M&E Specialists.
Qualifications (technical qualifications or certifications that are essential to fulfil the post):
- A post-graduate degree, diploma or equivalent qualification in development and cooperation or in a relevant field of study
- A qualification in monitoring & evaluation, quality management or results-based management.
Specific knowledge, technical skills
- A firm command of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL), including demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative M&E methods.
- A minimum of five years professional experience of designing M&E frameworks and systems, including at organisational level;
- Proven programme & project cycle management skills;
- Proven track record on designing and implementing effective M&E frameworks;
- Demonstrated competence in budgeting and financial monitoring of projects/programmes in the not-for-profit sector;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse organisation;
- Strong understanding and expertise in gender equality and inclusion programming;
- Strong organization and coordination skills, ability to work under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines;
- Ability to travel worldwide;
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Field experience in humanitarian and/or development programmes an asset;
- Working knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese or another language practiced in EO-affected countries an asset.
If you wish to join our mission and you feel you have the right profile to take on this role, please follow this link GICHD Job application portal
You are kindly requested to present your application in English and include
- a CV of maximum 2 pages
- a letter of motivation
- your earliest date of availability
The GICHD implements a Gender and Diversity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
GICHD website www.gichd.org
For further information please contact us at hr(at)gichd.org